Wednesday, May 3, 2006

Lerner's to buy Nats

Well like I said earlier the Lerners' are going to be the owners of the Expos. I am glad this is finally settled however I am disappointed that Colin Powell will not be associated with the Nats but having Stan Kasten could be good news, if for nothing more than his vast experience. He was part of the management team that helped build the Braves into a powerhouse for 12 years before he left in 2003. He should provide the vision, stability and direction for the franchise that has been missing that for the past several years. Given his track record look for more investment into scouting as well as a GM change and most likely the end of the Robinson era although I am not so sure that Frank will just fade away. I think he will be offered a job within the organization.

According to MLB there will be a vote during the owners meeting May 17-19, this really should be a formality since I am sure all the teams will be happy that this is over. Especially somebody like the Yankees who could care less about the game and wouldn't be bothered if there was only 6 teams, just as long as they won.

On another note: O'Connor won his first game by pitching seven solid innings, with six k's and one ER. It is good to see someone else pitching well for the franchise. Byrd lead-off again and had three hits, apparently Church had the flu and will sit out at least one more game. The flu, are you serious??? You just got back from the minors, some in the organization question your heart and willingness to play at less than 100% and then you go and prove them right in less than three weeks back in the bigs. Man what I wouldn't give to play, I used to play little league with stitches, scrapped elbows / knees and thumbs so sore I had difficulty holding onto the bat. Talent does not equal heart!!

No comments: