After sweeping the Brewers the Nats take the first game from Atlanta (in Atlanta). What is impressive about the win is that they scored 5 in the 5th to take the lead which the did not relinquish. Livan pitched 6 innings and gave up 4 runs. Not great but enough to get the win and to continue his recent up swing. With his recovery O'Connor's steady yet unspectacular outings, and the wizardry of the waif (I don't know how he is doing it) and Armas' rebound the Nats all of the sudden have a pitching staff. Tonight Shawn Hill is on the aww ... hill and will be interesting to see how he performs. To go along with this the bullpen is starting to get it done, Majewski and Cordero the Felix Rodriguez experiment is over and Eischen finally admitted something was wrong. The team now Bill Bray as a power left-hander out of the pen, as well as Saul Rivera (need more to see what he can do) and Stanton is back to the role he should be as a situational lefty. Although Robinson is still keeping him in there way too long.
Although I don't want to see Vidro or Hernandez go I do realize that it may be necessary in order to build a long term winner. The signs above are encouraging because they are no longer pluggin the holes with mediocre veterans ie: Preston Wilson. The farm needs to know they will be called upon to help out so that breeds a sense of urgency and opportunity. Now the other parts of the equation and that unfortunately means the release of Robinson, who is just not a manager for a team moving forward. He is best suited for a veteran team that needs leadership. The other part is Bowden oh man does this guy need to go. I won't go on about him because it's just too easy.
Today is also the first round of the amateur draft, it will be interesting to see who is selected considering that the last three 1st round picks are now in the bigs (Cordero, Zimmerman & Bray). However it seems that there may not be that type of talent available when the Nats pick comes round.
Stay tuned I'll post a link once I know who is picked.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment