NATS:
Chris Needham over at Capitol Punishment writes a scathing (funny) article about the cable coverage for the Nats this year. I only have one option for NATS games and that’s online. I have been doing so for the past 6 years (yes that includes the Expos) so I can’t really complain because I have lived “out of market” the whole time.
However the Angelos factor is something that I can’t believe has not been settled yet. To have the two teams share primetime (MASN 1& 2) in the market by switching between two channels is just stupid. The thing is Angelos is desperately trying to hold onto the DC market. His team is a shambles and I think he sees the experience that Kasten et al bring and is worried that he will soon become 2nd fiddle in a market he used to own. So what’s the best course of action? Screw over the Nats ever chance he gets, limit the amount of times they are broadcasted or make it as difficult as possible for the fan to find where it is broadcasted. Eventually the fans will get made at the NATS as well, although I think most fans know that Angelos is at the root of the problems. He is a small man who is used to having his way and does not know how to compete (his teams have proven that) in an open market.
I have always felt that owners/companies who have a captive market (a la pre-NATS) and don’t make it their market in every sense of the word are the ones who complain the most when competition comes in, because they have treated their customers so badly for so long that they don’t know what else to do. They see the competition coming in and cry foul because they are getting attention.
I am sure this issue is not over and it will come up over the course of the season.
No comments:
Post a Comment