Thursday, February 8, 2007

Saved by the pen!

NATS:

Article on the NATS site yesterday talks about the bullpen and how it is the strength of the team. I don’t think anyone would argue with that statement but here are few points.

I remember hearing, and for the life of me I can’t remember who said this, from a manager that he would prefer to have a good pen when developing young pitchers because there is nothing worse for a young player’s confidence then to see a great game lost by the pen. Conversely there is nothing like the feeling of seeing your pen save the day and have your team rally, both situations are great team and confidence builders. But I want to see how a couple of things shake out with this pen as I see this as a part of the team that could help re-build the franchise. Let me explain.

Everyone knows that Cordero has been on the block the whole off-season as management thinks it is easier to develop a closer then a starter. Something I totally agree with especially with the presence of Wagner and Ayala (assuming he is healthy), both have fulfilled the closer role in the past. Unless somebody steps forward and offers above market value for Cordero I don’t think the Nats should make the trade at this time. So let’s play out this scenario (best case of course).

Ideally Cordero is pitching the same way he did in the second half of last year (there was bound to be a bump in his development) Wagner and Rauch continue their progression and become productive members (Wagner as a set-up man and Rauch and long and short reliever). Ayala comes back and pitches the way he is capable of, King pitches the way he has for years and they somehow squeeze some productivity out of Bowie.

Now let’s forward to the trade deadline. As is the case every year the contenders will be looking for pitching, more starters then relievers but still, Cordero is doing good or even better the way he pitched two years ago there will be takers and this trade deadline I don’t think Bowden allow this trade to stay on the table, a la Soriano. Now if King is pitching the way he can he will garner something and then also look for one of Ayala, Rauch or Bowie (if he is doing good) to be shipped. This will bring in at least three players for the system to develop. I know, I know but we just gave up three players, well the point is that we will more likely get a potential top three starter, always difficult to find, as well as some prospects. If the franchise is really spending all their money in the minors, which they are, then these prospects should have access to intensive training and opportunities that other franchises would not necessarily give because they do not need (or want) to be as patient as the Nats. So by the middle of the year Zinicola should be up with the organization as well another pitcher or two, perhaps Schroder. So that’s why I am looking forward to seeing this bullpen perform.

No comments: